Monday, April 15, 2013

Challenge - Flowers

Challenge Topic: Flowers

Posting Date: Saturday, May 11, 2013

Online Background Information:

Additional Tips and Suggestions:
If you attempt a close-up or macro shot, be careful with your depth of field. This is a good time to try to get your camera off of the “automatic” mode and make adjustments to your f-stop for optimum depth of field. Be aware of how your camera is focusing, and ensure that it is focusing on the flowers or petals that you want sharp. Manual focus works better than automatic focus for close-ups. (Get out that camera manual if you need to do learn how to accomplish these tasks!)

A tripod is always helpful for close-up shots, but switch off any automatic vibration reduction feature on your camera or lens when using a tripod. Watch out for and avoid blown-out highlights that can occur on bright, sunny days. Soft light can be found on overcast days or you can use a diffuser. Pay attention to details and competing elements in the background. Schedule your photo shoot on a day when the winds are calm or else block the wind so the flowers don’t move.

Consider staging your flower shoot. The flowers can be in displayed a vase, draped on a table surface, held in a hand, etc. Break out of your typical shooting style and try a different perspective. Edit the images to provide a nice saturation of colors. Consider the application of editing enhancements such as a glow filter, an orton effect, or vignette.

Instructions:

Prepare one to three of your own photographic images of flowers. You may take new photos or use ones in your archives, although it would be preferable to take at least one new image for this particular challenge. Please include any information or tips that may be of assistance to other participants (e.g., how you took the images, post-processing details, camera settings, what you learned).

The linkup tool will be available the day before the challenge date (May 10) and a couple days thereafter.


7 comments:

  1. Thank you Donna for hosting this great opportunity to learn, for the inspiration, motivation and meeting others who love photography! I appreciate it and I'm looking forward to the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I'm really happy that folks are learning and having fun! I appreciate all of the positive feedback I receive. It makes my efforts worthwhile.

      Delete
  2. Hello Donna
    OMG I'm just a few minutes too late!
    When I looked in I had 53 minutes before your linky closed, so I got my photos together - alas I took too long in making my selection... never mind.
    I will try and make the June challenge.
    Congratulations on winning the Ilford competition Donna - what an amazing photo of the Puffin. They are such comical birds - I read a lovely article about them a while ago in the english Country Life magazine.

    You're an inspiration to us Donna - thank you!
    Shane ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was kind of you to re-open the linky Donna.
    I've made my post and linked in too!
    I have to go out for an appointment now but when I get back I'll visit the others!
    Many thank yous Donna.
    Shane ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to do it for you! I wouldn't want you to miss out on our fun!

      Delete
  4. Flowers was an easy topic for me and then I learned how some of our more experienced photographers (like you) interpreted it to mean so much more than look at the pretty flowers.
    I might not be picking up on the techie stuff but I am learning lots from the other participants and comments.
    Thanks for hosting.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the nice things about these challenges - we learn from each other and provide inspiration! And you are quite welcome!

      Delete